The Faculty of Mass Media Communication at the University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava (FMK) provides and organizes higher education and supports creative scientific research and artistic production. The basic mission of FMK is to spread knowledge, develop the level of education in the study program mass media studies and support the development of personality and professional qualities among the members of academic staff and students.
The university is modern (established in 1997), dynamically growing and ambitious institution. Faculty of Mass Media Communication is the fundamental and most important faculty of the university. It also has a specific position in the Slovak republic – in particular – as a unique, largest and most complex media school in the country. It is considered to be the most desirable school among students of media studies and the demand for graduates of this faculty ranks the school among ten most prestigious faculties in Slovakia.
The faculty is also a research-development institution participating in scientific research in Slovakia and abroad. It cooperates with educational, research, artistic and art institutes.
The faculty is involved in solving many international scientific and research tasks and runs the international center of media education. FMK UCM established the International Center of Media Literacy in 2010. This center has significantly contributed to the fact that Slovakia climbed from 23th up to 8th place among EU countries in media literacy level.
FMK UCM gained prestige in the international field as well – for example following FMK proposal, „doctor honoris causa“ degrees were received by some famous world scientific authorities as Philip Kotler (USA), prof. Zygmunt Bauman (UK) or prof. Dr. Jur. Peter Bruck, PhD. M.A. (Austria) and others.
Management of the Faculty
Acting Dean of FMK UCM
Head of academic senate
Providing education in 5 majors related to marketing, media, game studies and media literacy, makes FMK attractive to current and potential students:
- mass media communication, (bachelor, master, PhD.)
- marketing communication, (bachelor, master, PhD.)
- applied media studies, (bachelor, master)
- media relations (in English language, bachelor)
- theory of game studies (bachelor, master)
Characteristics of the study program Media relations (bachelor level)
The term media relations in professional public is understood as regular communication with the media, maintaining a good relationship with journalists who are interested in the issue of the company or public institution. The resulting publicity – neutral, positive or negative in critical situations – is primarily the result of the quality of these relationships. Relations with media are based on the production and providing with information that attract attention of addressed media about the topic and consequently the interest of recipients of media contents for company, organization, its products or services. The term media relations in the narrow sense also represents creating of good relationships with other subjects involved in the media communication. Study program media relations is taught in English as the only program at the faculty.
FMK UCM owns the most modern technical equipment, which serves to quality training of the students. Excepting some standard digital technologies and other modern technical equipment, there is also top HD studio, disposing the latest and best quality equipment among central EU countries. It enables to make the production of technically comparable or even better level, comparing to mainstream TV stations in the country.
There is also a possibility for the students to verify the acquired knowledge in practice, especially within co working centre Pointt, 9 professional cabinets or while working in school media – magazine Atteliér, radio Aetter, FMK TV. The student magazine belongs to top ones in the country for several years, while reaching the first place in this ranking for several years consecutively.
We are proud of publishing various types of unique magazines – artistic revue Muuza and Media Literacy Student Magazin. Muuza was awarded as the most beautiful book of the year in international competition. Media Literacy Student Magazine provides some space for publishing student works in media education field and media literacy.
Our students regularly achieve success in various events and competitions – they were successful twice in national competition „The most beautiful book of year” with a monograph of artistic photos Kone.fmk and Among the raindrops. They are laureates of literary competitions and they gained leadership several times in the competition dealing with the best university student magazine.
Projects for students:
- university magazine Attelier,
- Radio Aetter,
- FMK TV,
- sport events,
- art exhibitions,
- entertainment shows,
- Senator’s party (student party).
Currently, FMK UCM cooperates with 32 universities from 15 countries – e. g. France, Germany, USA, Central and Eastern European Countries.
List of universities in frame of Erasmus+ cooperation:
- Univerzita J. A. Komenského Praha, Česká republika
- Česká zemědělská univerzita v Prahe, Česká republika
- Univerzita Karlova v Prahe, Česká republika
- Vysoká škola ekonomie a manažmentu, o.p.s., Praha, Česká republika
- Vysoká škola finanční a správní, Praha, Česká republika
- Univerzita Hradec Králové, Pedagogická fakulta, Hradec Králové, Česká republika
- Anhalt University of Applied Science, Nemecko
- Hochschule der Medien, Stuttgart, Nemecko
- University of Algarve, Portugalsko
- University of Dubrovnik, Chorvátsko
- University of Zagreb, Chorvátsko
- Sveučilište Sjever/University North, Varaždin, Chorvátsko
- University of Applied Sciences B. Zapresic, Zaprešič, Chorvátsko
- University of Lucian Blaga, Sibiu, Rumunsko
- Czestochowa University of Technology, Poľsko
- Poznan School of Social Sciences, Poľsko
- University of Economics in Katowice, Poľsko
- University of Information Technology and Management in Rzeszow, Poľsko
- Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poľsko
- Humanitas University Sosnoviec, Poľsko
- Marmara University, Istanbul, Turecko
- Gumushane University, Gumushane, Turecko
- Nigde University, Turecko
- Izmir University, Turecko
- Pedagogical University of Krakow, Poľsko
- University of Maria Curie-Skłodowska in Lublin, Poľsko
- Kazimierz Pulaski University of Technology and Humanities In Radom, Poľsko
- Uniwersytet Kardynala Stefana Wyszinskiego w Warszawe, Varšava, Poľsko
- Radom Academy of Economics, Radom, Poľsko
- Veliko Turnovski Universitet Sv. Kiril i Metodii, Bulharsko
- Univeristá degli Studi di Teramo, Teramo, Taliansko
- Rīga Stradiņš University, Riga, Lotyšsko
Coordinator for Erasmus+ and international mobilities (students, teachers, staff):
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ján Višňovský, PhD.
Cooperation fields of interest:
- exchange of teachers and students (Erasmus+, Ceepus, Fulbright, government grants),
- cooperation in science and research field, in particular, the establishment of joint research teams,
- cooperation in the field of media arts production, PC animations, media education, media literacy and media production.
- Erasmus+: http://www.ucm.sk/sk/incoming-students/
Research & Conferences
Research & Conferences
The faculty publishes an international scientific journal Communication Today, supporting a lot of research activities. It also manages international scientific conferences more times a year, involving the experts and research assistants from both, academic background and practice from various European countries as well.
Scientific conferences organized by Faculty of Mass Media Communication
Conference Megatrends and Media
The international scientific conference held annually by the Faculty of Mass Media Communication UCM in Trnava has become a traditional „spring“ event attended and supported by renowned media studies theorists and researchers as well as media professionals. The goal of the conference is to present and exchange the current knowledge and experience reflecting media and trends connected to them nowadays (for more details, please see annotations of the individual sections).
- Selected papers written and submitted in English are published in the scientific journal European Journal of Science and Theology which is indexed in the Scopus database. The journal’s editorial board performs selection of the best texts in cooperation with the scientific committee of the conference.
- Conference proceedings in English submitted for evaluation to databases Web of Science, Scopus, ERIH PLUS, EBSCO.
- Conference proceedings in Slovak, Czech, Polish or any other language than English.
More information available at: www.fmk.sk/megatrends-and-media
Conference Marketing Identity
The international scientific conference held annually by the Faculty of Mass Media Communication UCM in Trnava has become a traditional „autumn“ event with support and attendance of marketing communication theorists and researchers as well as media and marketing professionals. The goal of the conference is to present and exchange the current knowledge and experience reflecting marketing communication, innovations, and trends connected to them nowadays. The conference proceedings related to Marketing Identity 2013 – 2015 are indexed by Web of Science.
More information available at: www.fmk.sk/marketing-identity
Science and Technology Week at FMK UCM
An event organized annually gives the opportunity to popularize science and technology and encourage students to their own investigation in these areas. Both teachers and students co-operate to prepare this five-day series of lectures given by professionals from media and marketing environment.
Communication Today is a scientific journal from the mass media and marketing communication field, published twice a year. It focuses on theoretical studies, theoretical and empirical studies, research results and their implementation into practice, as well as professional publication reviews.
The journal contains professional scientific reflections and academic discourses on:
- the media and media competencies,
- the limits of reality, media thinking, new media, marketing and media relations,
- new trends in marketing including their types and specifics,
- psychology and sociology of marketing communication,
- the structure of media contents, marketing strategies and communication sciences.
The professional public is offered an interdisciplinary, focused, targeted discussion in these pages.
The members of the journal’s editorial board are members of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA). Communication Today is indexed in these databases: Cabell’s Directories, CEJSH, EBSCO, CEEOL, ProQuest, Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory, Index Copernicus and ERIH PLUS. Since 2015 journal has been covered (indexed) in Web of Science core collection (emerging sources citation index ESCI).
More information available at: www.communicationtoday.sk
European Journal of Media, Art and Photography
The art scientific and research journal titled European Journal of Media, Art and Photography has been published since 2013. The journal deals with the research of current situation, history and development of new media. The goal is to respond to theoretical and visual aspects of interconnected media space including the communication of art and photography. The emphasis is put on visual aspects, image interpretation by the medium of photography and profiling the journal as a mediator of intermedia and mass media topics. The ambition of the journal is to fill the empty space and end the absence of a professional pictorial journal in Slovakia dealing with the contexts of history and art development,, new media and photography.
More information available at: www.fmk.sk/veda-a-vyskum/ejmap
Media Literacy Student Magazine
The faculty has been providing a student online magazine titles Media Literacy Student Magazine since 2013. The faculty´s professionals try to support professional and study activities of their students. The magazine offer space for publishing student works and interpretation of student activities results. With its thematic focus it covers the issue of media education and development of media literacy. The magazine supports the research and scientific activities of students and at the same time it is the platform for student discussion on topics related to the key aspects and topics of their study programme. It focuses mainly on popularization of media literacy and media education among students, teachers and other people interested in the issue. The magazine is intended not only for FMK students but also for students from other schools in Slovakia and abroad.
More information available at: www.fmk.sk/veda-a-vyskum/media-literacy-student-magazine
Regarding the field of art the faculty has been publishing a representative selection of artistic and creative works in almanac MUUZA. The almanac in printed form includes the best literary and photographic works of students.
Key areas of interest: mass media communication, marketing communication, media education, artistic communication, digital games.
- Department of Mass Media Communication
- Department of Marketing Communication
- Department of Artistic Communication
- Department of Media Education
- Department of Digital Games
- Department of Legal and Human Sciences
- Department of Linguistic Communication
More information about faculty: